Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Presentation reflections

I was surprised that many of my classmates want to pursue their eduction in the medical field. As many of their minor issues were different they all shared one major issue in common. All the students agree that building a strong physician-patient relationship is essential. It is necessary to make this bond with their patient in order to effectively communicate.

Effective communication involves clarity and understanding. A tight bond with a physician eliminates the chance of mistakes. As my classmates stated how doctors should communicate with their patients, I constantly thought of my past experiences with physicians. It reminded me of one incident in particular. Two years ago I was involved in a car accident in which I broke multiple bones in my right hand. Because of the seriousness of my accident, I spent a week in the hospital. I interacted with my doctor on a regular basis during this week.

My classmates informed our class in their presentations that a doctor must build a strong relationship with their patients in order to be successful. One student mentioned that a doctor should be conscience in the manner in which he relays information. The best way a doctor should do this is by stating the benefits or ways they can improve their condition before relaying the "bad news." My physician did just this. He first told me that with multiple surgeries and extensive therapy, my hand would be alright. He then proceeded to tell me that I most likely would not be able to have full range in mobility and that I would not be able to play volleyball for a year. This was obviously devastating to me.

Another classmate shared with the class the different approaches doctors can take; the best approach being the shared approach. My physician carried the shared approach in every decision he made. He made sure that he discussed everything with me before so that he could hear my input. My doctor would listen to my opinion before surgeries or changing up my therapy routine. The openness of my doctors attitude led me to gain trust in him, and assurance that he was making the right choices.

A student that is not wanting to go into the medical field but accounting shared a same issue that is commonly used in healthcare. He stated that visuals such as handouts are a great way to communicate clearly for further understanding. While I was in the hospital and throughout my therapy experience I received handouts. The handouts included the diet I should be on, precautions that should be taken, and stretching instructions. These visuals truly helped me effectively perform all the necessary steps that needed to be taken for a quick and successful recovery.

My experience in the hospital and the reoccurring theme that my classmates presented, further demonstrates the importance of efficient communication skills in healthcare. Proper communication in healthcare embodies qualities of trust, understanding, and respect which ultimately leads to a strong patient-physician relationship.

No comments: